Search This Blog

Sunday, November 10, 2019

Fear of a Name

That last post was really difficult.  I felt off-balance and emotional for days afterwards. So I decided that today's post needed to be less stressful. I've always loved to read. Books can be a fun escape from reality. We can learn so much by reading and sometimes a passage or quote can have a profound meaning for the reader.

Fear of a name increases fear of the thing itself.

This quote from JK Rowling's Harry Potter books has a lot of meaning for me. I would imagine it has a lot of meaning for any who has survived abuse.  Hearing the name of your abuser can be a stressful trigger. It can take years to be able to hear the name without feeling a sense of panic. It's especially hard when the name is a very common one like Jim or Frank. There was a guy I worked with at Target named Frank who was head over heels in love with me. I tried going out with him after Brad and I broke up but I just couldn't do it. I'm afraid I may have broken his heart. I do know a couple of guys named Jim now and they're good guys.

I no longer panic when I hear these names. It took me a long time to get this point. I've had to remind myself of this quote many times. I hope others have been helped by it as I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment